History

Golf was played at Aberfoyle before 1890, but in that year, the Duke of Montrose commissioned work to extend the course to 9 holes, making it one of the best inland courses in the country at the time. A small clubroom was built for the 60 men and 29 lady members, whose annual subscription was 10/-.

The first (gold) medal was played on 10th July, 1891, and was won by Mr George Gardner with a nett 88 off a handicap of 6 clearly scoring was a bit different then !

Although most of the Club records prior to the 1960s have been lost, we still have, and play for, three trophies from the 1890s. Mindful of the past, our members held a special Centenary Competition in 1990, entrance for which required the competitor to be dressed in the garb of the 1890s.

During the 1980s, largely due to the labours of the Members themselves, the course was extended to 18 holes, making full use of the natural contours of the terrain, which means that only eight bunkers are required to protect its virtue. In 1990, the Club purchased the course from its then owner, the Forestry Commission, to secure its future. The original timber clubhouse still overlooks the 18th green, but a new one was built in 1973 and extended in 1990. A major refurbishment in 2003 has extended changing facilities and greatly improved the lounge and bar areas.

Over the years, many things have changed at Aberfoyle, but as can be seen from this extract from The Golfing Annual of 1891, the scenery and views were as well recognised as they remain today.

Club Secretary
Bob Carmichael

"Welcome to one of Scotland's most scenic and interesting golf courses."

Telephone : 01877 382493
secretary@aberfoylegolf.co.uk


Aberfoyle Golf Club, Braeval, Aberfoyle, FK8 3UY
Telephone : 01877 382493
E-mail : secretary@aberfoylegolf.co.uk